Google My Business is a service provided by Google that allows businesses to be highlighted in local searches. This article covers:
- What is Google My Business?
- Setting up your listing with Google My Business
- Best practices for keeping your listing useful
- Optimising your listing with additional features.
Having and maintaining an up to dates Google My Business listing helps to enforce your authority with Google and other search engines. It also provides the necessary visibility to stand out from your competitors on search results.
What is Google My Business and why does my E-Commerce site need it?
Have you done a Google search on a business, product or service, and seen the featured listings? They appear on the right-hand side on your desktop browser, or at the top, below any Google ads on mobile devices. The listings show detailed information about location, rating, contact details, etc. Those are Google My Business listings.
Your business can be featured there too!
In fact, your business may already have a listing showing some basic information. You could have added some of your own content such as a photo, your website URL and your operating hours. On the other hand, your customers could have added some of the information for you.
It’s vital that as the business owner you are in control of the details on your Google My Business listing. That way when a client or someone else adds information or suggests changes you have control over what information is included in your listing.
Did you know that the more you flesh out your profile, the more Google has a vote of confidence that you take your online presence seriously?
Getting set up on Google My Business
- Visit https://www.google.com/business.
- Input the basic information for your business:-
- Business name
- Physical address
- Contact number
- You will need to verify your account by submitting a code that is mailed to your business address. This step is necessary to unlock all Google My Business features.
- Once all your information is completed and verified you can access your dashboard to start personalizing your listing.
Core information to check and update for your Google My Business listing
Take a look at some of the options below to find out about what else you should be adding to complete your profile.
- Check that you have a listing! If you don’t have one, get one for your business
- Ensure that your address details are correct including the map’s location
- Add a concise description
- Insert your opening and closing times (also add a snippet whether you’re open or closed on public holidays)
- Don’t forget to add your website URL
- Find and select a category and attribute. There may not be one that’s a perfect fit for your business but select the one closest to it
- Upload a few high resolution, clear images of your business
- Email your listing’s link to a few of your clients and ask them for a review. Don’t forget to remember best practices when requesting a review!
- Never “ghost” the listing after populating all the necessary fields. As you would do on Facebook or Instagram, post to the listing regularly (special offers, team news, etc.)
- Turn on messaging to communicate with customers through Google My Business
Other helpful information to help you optimize your profile
Claiming your account with Google My Business is the first step. There are some simple steps that you can follow to optimize your account to make sure you make your business, products and services more visible which can lead to increased sales. Ensure that your core business information (your name, address and phone number) are the same as what is listed on your website.
Taking the time to choose the correct category and attribute will make sure that your customers have a clear picture of what your business can offer them.
The next important step is to make sure that your profile picture is showing and represents your business. You can also upload a cover image as well as videos.
Another fantastic feature is being able to showcase product images and reviews that your customers have shared with you allowing you to build up your presence and reputation online. It is important to make sure that you respond to all of your reviews – the good, the bad and the ugly.
An exciting feature is the messaging feature – this allows your potential clients to contact you with questions directly. It’s as simple as turning on the feature in your dashboard.
Google My Business is a fantastic free tool that can bring in organic traffic to your website and business. It is an important part of ensuring that you are found in searches and that your vital information is clear and easy to find for your potential customers. Having a Google My Business listing helps to enforce your authority with Google and other search engines.
Want to get some help on Google’s tools?
We can help you make the best of using Google’s tools. Book a call with us.